Thursday, October 7, 2010

James Otto

Country singer James Otto releases second album, reveals biggest fear and tribute to the military

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — These days, it's hard to bring James Otto down.

The 6-foot-5 country singer and new dad was forced into the hospital earlier this month, just a few days before the release of his sophomore album, "Shake What God Gave Ya."

But Otto isn't complaining.

"It's a very unglamorous intestinal virus that you do not want. Basically I was on morphine and an IV bag for about 96 hours and didn't get to eat. But it's all good," he said. "I really don't have to adjust my diet. It's probably more of a genetic issue."

In fact, the hospitalization came with an unexpected benefit.

"The 96 hours in the hospital is probably the best sleep I've gotten since the baby was born," Otto said, laughing.

Otto welcomed his first child, daughter Ava Katherine, on Aug. 24. His other baby — his album — was released Tuesday.

Otto co-wrote 10 of the 12 tracks, including his new single, "Soldiers and Jesus."

"Having a dad that was a drill sergeant, a grandfather that was in Korea, I was in the military myself, I look at the sacrifice of my own family and am honoured to know those men and how strong they are and what they lay on the line," he said. "I just wanted a tribute to that."

The album features a duet with Otto's musical hero Ronnie Milsap on "Good Things Gone Bad," and an uptempo nod to the economy with "Love Don't Cost A Thing."

But it's the title track that ironically reveals Otto's biggest secret.

"I have a humongous fear of dancing in public," he said.

That doesn't stop him from grooving in concert, though.

"I dance on stage ... but it's nothing consciously. It's kind of twitching and jerking," he said. "That's actually what 'Shake What God Gave Ya' is all about. It doesn't matter what it looks like, just do your thing, man, let loose."

Otto scored his first No. 1 hit in 2008 with "Just Got Started Loving You." He also co-wrote last year's ACM and CMA song of the year, "In Color," sung by Jamey Johnson.

No comments:

Post a Comment